Faculties in Krakow
In 1946, by combining three schools operating in Krakow (the Acting School of the Old Theatre, the Acting School of the J. Slowacki Theatre and the Iwo Gall Drama School), Juliusz Osterwa established the State Drama School. During its initial period, the School offered three-year courses for drama students. After being renamed the State Higher Acting School (in 1949), the studies were extended to a four-year course. Its current name, PWST National Academy of Theatre Arts, was given in 1955. The Academy’s first faculty was the Faculty of Acting.
Faculty of Acting
Specialisation: drama acting, singing and acting
Faculty of Drama Directing
Specialisation: theatre directing, dramaturgy
The Faculty of Directing was established in 1955 and continued in its original concept until 1962. This type of theatre education started again in 1973, and the Faculty of Drama Directing still recruits students every year for five-year directing courses. Beginning in the academic year 2002/2003, this Faculty established a new field of specialisation, namely dramaturgy.